Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Obama Bow

I'm sure you've all heard about the recent bowing fiasco, but I think it's important to compare it to his visit to the queen:



Though it's obviously in bad taste for a myriad of reasons to bow to this guy, what I'm more upset about is the fact that the White House is all-out LYING ABOUT IT! I know politics is politics and you never want to look bad, but there comes a point when you have to realize that everyone knows what happened and lying about it just makes things worse. What could they possibly have to gain by trying to deny this? Do they REALLY think Americans are that dumb?

Personally I think he's been listening to his own apologetic speeches too long: he's really convinced himself that Americans are just arrogant and stupid...otherwise why even try to deny this? The only difference it's made is that now we all have one more reason not to trust our president. I think Obama should speak for himself in throwing around accusations of arrogance, because that's what's driving this (I think). He thinks that because he's mister charisma with the media bending over backwards for him that he can get away with anything! He needs to wake up (and soon): just because lots of people voted for him last fall doesn't mean he's "too big to fail" like the financial institutions he's been bailing out. I seriously can't see him getting re-elected if he keeps this up much longer, because I think most people will say to themselves "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..."

5 comments:

OccupyThis said...

I know why Obama bowed before King Abdullah - his back was really sore from carrying all that American guilt around on his European Apology Tour. Whether Obama is bowing to the King depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Kidding aside, I don't think the White House is doing Obama any favors by flat-out lying about this insult to our sovereignty. If Obama would have apologized about his mistake - like W. did after double-grasping the King's hand during his presidency - case closed, let's move on. But the fact that they have to lie about it is pretty pathetic. Did they really think we would buy it? Well, on second thought, I guess we believed that Obama was qualified to be President last November.

But what really interests me is the politics behind all of this. Senator Obama had this to say in Des Moines, Iowa on May 20, 2008: "Change is an energy policy that doesn't rely on buddying up to the Saudi Royal Family and then begging them for oil." I find it ironic that the Saudis stand to grow even richer under this President than the last because Obama staunchly opposes the increase of domestic oil production and our infrastructure cannot significantly support clean, renewable energy for at least another decade. Maybe that's why we saw Obama "buddying up" to the Saudi King with that graceful bow. Is this 'change' we can believe in?

Creighton said...

Man, you guys really hate Barack Obama

OccupyThis said...

Hate? No, that's too strong of a word. I just really love my country - living abroad for 2 years opened my eyes and helped me see what makes America so great. I just don't think that Obama's European Statist policies will right this ship - history tells me that. Let the free market work, don't eliminate the boom and bust cycles, let broken businesses fail, don't punish people for their hard work and success, don't reward people for their poor decisions, don't separate people from the consequences of their actions.

And look, liberals said FAR worse about W., Cheney, and especially John McCain and Sarah Palin during the last 8 years. But if conservatives voice their opinions about this one, some from the left wish to silence it as "hate speech" and others say we're racist. Why the double standard?

Creighton said...

Just an observation, most of these blogs are usually about how Obama is messing everything up. It's a lot how I felt with Bush, but I'm not gonna try and silence you. I just think maybe we should blog about the new white house dog.

Just kidding. You know I love all you republicans.

Publius said...

I have to agree with Creighton on this one. There seems to be an excessive amount of criticism toward Obama. I find myself constantly criticising and mocking him. In addition, I know I'm a lot more forgiving of those with whom I affiliate than those of the other party. We engage in unfair treatment of the other side viewing their faults with our eyes wide open while we sometimes just turn our head to the glaring problems of our own.
And I'm not saying that it is a bad thing to be critical of our leaders, for rightly we should be. We need to hold them accountable as they act on behalf of us. But imputing an ill motive on everything the opposite party does while holding your own party to another standard is bad form. And I'm as guilty of this as anyone. That said, although it's not the most important thing, I like that Obama is improving America's image in the world (at least I think he is.) I'm not saying he's been perfect but I think by and large he has improved our image.