I did not watch the state of the Union address last night due to work and some homework, however I did catch the GOP's response to the state of the Union. I thought it was well thought out and eye-opening. The U.S. government has outspent their own budget by 3 trillion dollars over the past two years. That is extremely frustrating. I think both sides are to blame here, although democrats more so. It's time for Congress to make some hard decisions and start cutting the spending or increasing taxes or both. It's time to address the huge problems medicare and social security are going to cause as the baby boomers start retiring. I haven't seen that out of Pres. Obama so far, so I'll be carefully watching who the GOP decides to put out there for 2012. Why not the guy who gave the GOP speech last night? I'd like that guy to be president right about now.
And for those who think I'm a hardcore liberal, I'm not. I'll vote for whoever will be responsible with taxpayer dollars (and borrowed dollars for that matter), and right now I haven't seen that out of either party.
I also wanted to post this NBC news story about the CBO's projection of the direction the deficit is heading. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41276533/ns/politics-capitol_hill
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great post, Creighton. I didn't watch either the SOTU or the Rep. response as I was driving back to Pittsburgh. I have read a few online reviews though, from left and right-leaning columnists. From what I gather, Obama pretty much drew the battle lines for the 2012 election last night. I hear Rep. Paul Ryan did a good job in the response too. He's pretty wonkish and a little young, but the dude knows his stuff, and the budget is his specialty. Here's an impressive clip of him on the House floor right before Obamacare passed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjpzvtkz70
I'd love it if Chris Christie ran on the Repub. ticket in 2012, but he keeps saying he won't, which is a bummer. The thing I like most about Christie is that he talks to people like their adults and doesn't seem like the type who wants to get elected to just kick the tough issues down the road for the next guy.
Post a Comment