So while watching the news today I saw some intriguing developments in the GOP, or at least interesting enough to spur me to do a new post about it on here, at least. But then I was surprised to find, once I logged on, that there haven't been ANY posts about the GOP race yet! So basically I thought it might be nice to give everyone the opportunity to just share their thoughts about the race.
Just so you guys know, the latest development, which I alluded to earlier, is that Rick Perry has now (at least according to some recent polls) edged out Romney as the "official GOP front-runner." Seemingly in response to this, Romney shifted gears a bit (up 'til now he's avoided fighting with other GOP candidates) and directly attacked Perry (well, technically any "career politicians," but the consensus is that it was aimed at Perry) in an address to veterans in Texas
I was actually somewhat surprised at the commentary about this attack from the talking heads on CNN, basically agreeing that it was a good way to strategically contrast himself with Perry while simultaneously focusing on the most important issue, i.e. the economy. It also seems smart to me because the contrast also applies ESPECIALLY to Obama (I heard he recently fired his chief economic advisor, by the way). I believe this was smart for another reason: it’s probably the best way to unite his support from both mainstream conservatives/independents and from tea partiers, meaning that he’s arguably a better candidate to face Obama in the general election.
So all this got me to wondering: does Perry really have a shot at seriously contending with Romney, and (for that matter) how could he possibly have gotten ahead of him in the first place? I would think that John Stewart isn’t the only one who would be wary of voting for what seems in many ways like “George Bush on steroids” or “George Bush ++” (i.e. “what happens is Lex Luthor distilled down George Bush essence in a laboratory, and crossed it with gunpowder and semen from the finest thorough-bred in Lubbock, then shot it into the sun” … lol).
So how 'bout it: do you guys think he's really on par with Romney, or is he maybe still benefiting from all the hype from when he joined race? Oh, and feel free to comment about the race in general as well.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I read an interesting piece saying that Perry will not be able to attack Romneycare for three reasons:
1. 25% of Texans are uninsured, one of the highest rates in the country. Massachussetts is 2%. Complaining about Romneycare invites close attention to Texas's failure to address the problem (Perry has been governor for 11 years).
2. Perry is a big states' rights guy. His book is "Fed Up" touting a federalist orientation. Romney's chief defense is that Mass. had the power to experiment, including using the individual mandate, while the federal government does not. Perry would have to agree.
and 3. Perry was a fan of Hillarycare back in the day (I believe even after he converted to the Republican party).
The debates could actually be interesting.
Rick Perry's father-in-law performed his vasectomy ... And this is news because ... ??
I don't know too much about Rick Perry, but I'm pretty sure I could guess Obama's line of attack against him if he emerges from the Republican primary as the nominee. It's the same line of attack he's been using ever since he's been President. One hint: it involves George W. Bush.
Rick Perry Pro:
The dude busted a cap in a coyote while jogging when it started menacing his puppy. That's pretty sweet.
That's all I got, you guys are the GOP experts.
Post a Comment