Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Look Out Ireland, Here…We…Come…

So was just listening to Obama's Address to Congress, and naturally I'm depressed, but not for the reason you might guess. I'm disappointed because I just realized that Ireland (possibly the only remaining capitalist country on the planet) will quite possibly be completely overcrowded before I even have the chance to move there when I finally enter the private sector!

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but here's my underlying point: Obama made a certain combination of promises which will at least add to the outsourcing trend. First, he said that he's decided that no amount of debt overrides the importance of reaching certain long-term goals (i.e. his programs). I don't know his specific budget yet, but either way there will be more spending (probably a lot more). Second: he promised to repay half the current national debt within the next two years. And now for the grand finale: he promised not to tax 95% of the country (defined as those who earn over $250,000).

Now let's add up all these promises: 5% of Americans will be taxed to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars within just two years!! Now I know many people worried about class warfare, but holy cow. Why in the world would you not want to outsource to Ireland for at least the next two years if you are a business owner who makes over $250,000? In order to submit to that, you'd either have to be ridiculously generous, ridiculously wealthy, or ridiculously insane! Or am I wrong? I actually hope so, to be frank, because I still would like to be able to move to Ireland at some point after I start making my living. If not, however, I guess I'm resigned to either working hard for someone else's gain or just giving up and living on welfare...

Now on top of all that (for those who still aren't worried), we're probably going to have the baby-boomers hit retirement before we even have a chance to repay the second half of that debt plus anything else from the new "stimulus," and I honestly can't see any point in my future lifetime when my country won't be saddled with debt...well, unless of course I do make it to Ireland after all...

3 comments:

Nicholas Hooton said...

Don't be like that. If all the true Americans ditch America in her darkest hour, she will be lost. Stay here and join the revolution, man! Fourteen states have already passed sovereignty resolutions and communicated them to the federal government (http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/02/23/state-sovereignty-resolutions/).

Let's take our nation back!

Creighton said...

So I hate to point out the obvious here but I just want everyone to know that I have no problem pointing out what I see as inconsistencies in my own party's promises. Doesn't mean I'm going to jump ship and come to the dark side by any means but I thought I'd humor you great conservatives. How in the world, yes, how in the world can President Obama claim to cut the deficit in half, cut taxes for 95% of Americans, and spend twice as much? I mean, I consider myself to be at least average at best in understanding math. But somehow More spending + more tax cuts + economic meltdown + banking disaster + baby boomer's retiring and me needing to take a 2nd job to pay their social security and medicare + another 600 billion for medical care + all kinds of new programs in the stimulus that need continual funding does not = Cutting the deficit in half in four years. In my mind, if Barack Obama can do what he says he can do, and I pray that he can, I believe that would make him one of the greatest presidents in our history. Why? Because to me it seems absolutely impossible at this point to fulfill all those goals. But if Devin is right, and keynsian (probably spelled that wrong but hey I've never had an econ class in my life so give me a break) economics actually prolongs this recession, I just might, maybe just might think about actually voting for a republican in 2012. Maybe. Don't get your hopes up. But if it's Dicky Cheney there ain't no way. But I would vote for Chuck Norris. Why? Because he would roundhouse kick the economy back into running shape, and we could really use that right about now.

Chris said...

I heard a great analogy on NPR on my way into work (yup, work) this morning.

The host of "Wait, wait, don't tell me!" (hilarious by the way), opened with a reminder of what Pres. Obama did this week, unveiled a budget with a 1.75 annual deficit, the largest in history, yet promised to reduce the deficit in half within four years . . . not the previous deficit, but the NEW deficit that he just increased by more than double, leaving the deficit in four years still larger than any other deficit in history (other than his deficits), even though it would be half what it was/is in Pres. Obama's first budget year.

So, the host of the show says Obama has just revolutionized the excuse-making industry! (The host said) Imagine an adulterer who tells his wife what a wonderful husband he is going to be in four years, when he will be half as unfaithful as he will be when he goes on a business trip next month.

I think we conservatives don't need to resort to hyperbole when NPR is picking up on the obvious, and Creighton is willing to face the math.

Pres. Obama's sense of his popularity is, I believe, leading him into too confidently trying to push a wildly liberal agenda. He is like the youngster pushing his little sister in the swing. Instead of bailing out, the sister will hang on, and knock him down on the way back.

We may not see a Republican congress elected in 2010, but we will probably see a conservative majority there, with a large number of Democrats rejecting the uber-left. As a conservative, I frankly hold out greater hope for having more independents and Democrats join conservative ranks, than seeing the Republicans become the majority party again. Too much baggage there.