Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A story that tugged at my heartstrings

We have already established that adultery is a bipartisan phenomenom, well I have found another one. An extreme dislike for the BCS. This story today in the USA today tugged at my heartstrings, and gives me a little hope.

A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine a national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers who said Congress had more pressing matters.
The bill, which faces long odds of becoming law, would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I football game as a national championship unless that title contest is the result of a playoff.
The measure passed by voice vote in a House Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee, with one audible "no," from Rep. John Barrow, D-Ga. "With all due respect, I really think we have more important things to spend our time on," Barrow said before the vote, although he stressed he didn't like the current Bowl Championship Series, either.
The bill's sponsor, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, said the BCS system is unfair and won't change unless prompted by Congress.
The vote came three days after the BCS selections were announced, including the Jan. 7 national title game between No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Texas.
The measure moves to the full House Energy and Commerce Committee.
In a statement before the vote, BCS executive director Bill Hancock said, "With all the serious matters facing our country, surely Congress has more important issues than spending taxpayer money to dictate how college football is played."

I think we can decipher between true sports fans and those who don't care in congress. What do you guys think? Should congress take action against the BCS? Or should they focus on just health care and the war? I like what the subcommittee chairman, Rep. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat who co-sponsored the bill, said, "We can walk and chew gum at the same time." Last year, Texas, USC, and Utah were all cheated out of a shot at the national title, and millions of dollars for their program. College football is the only system in the world where a champion is not determined by a playoff. Is congress overstepping its bounds? My response: I don't care!

3 comments:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I gotta say, the Government should not stick its nose in everything! Is the NCAA really so incompetent that they cannot figure out a postseason? If there is dishonesty or law breaking involved, I can see the Judicial branch of the government coming into play, but currently I think the government should stay out of college football! The BCS is stupid, but that's not Washington's fault, nor is it their responsibility.

OccupyThis said...

Along the same lines as Dave (or do you prefer David?), why does Congress have hearings all the time about Major League Baseball and steroids? Someone told me once, but I forgot.

Chris said...

Major League Baseball has a special exemption from antitrust laws, so how it is run has become congress' business.

I agree that congress is out of its league in messing with college football. Pres. Obama has already used his bully pulpit on this. So how do the people who enjoy college football appropriately bring pressure to bear to change the BCS? What if donors and support groups started withholding donations? What if pressure were put on the advertisers and networks who carry the games? I think there are effective ways to get the job done without the help of Mama Legislature.